Re: [Groff] pdfroff doubles the output

From: Louis Guillaume
Subject: Re: [Groff] pdfroff doubles the output
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:49:48 -0400

Keith Marshall wrote:
On Wednesday 25 June 2008 23:53:07 Louis Guillaume wrote:
I have just started to use the pdfmark macros along with -ms and
pdfroff. It appears that the output is doubled. The resulting pdf
has the contents twice.

The document is rendered correctly with plain-old groff, but of
course none of the pdfmark stuff works without that pdfroff.

Is this a known bug?

No, but it is a known feature :-)

Or am I doing something wrong. This is the invocation:

$ pdfroff -tp -ms -m pdfmark --report-progress lipsum.ms > a.pdf

pdfroff incorporates a rather gruesome hack to collate tables of contents, such as those emitted by the ms .TC macro, from the end to the beginning of the document; effectively, it emits the document twice, capturing the body text in the first pass, and the TOC in the second, then pushes the two through ghostscript in collated order.

IIRC, the spdf macro package redefines the .TC macro, adding some voodoo to suppress TOC output in the first pass, and body text in the second, but if you don't use this macro, you get the full body text in both passes, hence the doubled output you are seeing. To avoid this, you should add the `--no-toc-relocation' option...

  $ pdfroff -tp -ms -mpdfmark --no-toc --report lipsum.ms > a.pdf

HTH,
Keith.

Thank you, Keith; that does help. However I decided: "Why not throw the Table of Contents markups and a .TC macro in there and see what happens?" The result is the same doubled-up output, only with the table of contents.

Perhaps I'm missing something else. Should I post my markup?

Louis