Re: [Groff] Getting properly rendered single quotes in groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Getting properly rendered single quotes in groff
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:04:53 +0200 (CEST)

> Can you provide any insight into my question at the start of this
> thread?  Is option 4, that is, \(aqx\(aq , the best I can do here to
> get reasonably rendered quoted characters in ASCII and UTF-8?

I don't have an opinion here.  groff_char(7) says the following:

       ` the ISO latin1 ‘Grave Accent’ (code 96) prints as ‘, a left
         single quotation mark; the original character can be obtained
         with ‘\‘’.

       ' the ISO latin1 ‘Apostrophe’ (code 39) prints as ’, a right
         single quotation mark; the original character can be obtained
         with ‘\(aq’.

This basically means that using `...' within groff source code is
reasonable.  The question is how the output should look like.  By
default, the following default mappings are used by groff:

  ASCII & Latin1 (in font files):

    `       24      0       0140
    oq      "
    ga      "

    '       24      0       0047
    fm      "
    aq      "
    cq      "

  Unicode (built-in):

    `      U+2018
    oq     "

    '      U+2019
    cq     "

    ga     U+0060
    aq     U+0027

If you don't agree with these mappings, you could use the .tr request
to change that, for example

  .tr `'

so that `foo' in input becomes 'foo' in output.  Alternatively, you
might use the .char request like this:

  .char ` \N'96'