Re: [Groff] computer modern fonts in EQN with Tps?

From: Robert Marks
Subject: Re: [Groff] computer modern fonts in EQN with Tps?
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:03:25 +1100 (EST)

>From: Tadziu Hoffmann <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: [Groff] computer modern fonts in EQN with Tps?
>To: address@hidden
>
>> such as int, sum etc.
>
>Yes. Sum isn't so bad, but int is terrible even when scaled only a
>little.  What you can do as a workaround, however, is to construct
>the display-int from the top and bottom of the "extensible" integral,
>like here:
>http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2007-02/pdfgmV54dXiYQ.pdf
>Even though it's only a kind of makeshift solution (compared to
>a custom-designed display integral), I've come to rather like it.
>I think the Computer Modern integral sign is slanted way too much.

So can you provide an eqn definition for constructing the disply-int?

>And then there's also Elsevier's freely available ESSTIX font
>package, which is very nice and contains a large number of
>mathematical symbols.  (I haven't experimented with this yet,
>though.)
I have -- I needed some bold symbols to match the bold font I was using
in PDFs used as overheads in my lectures.  See:
http://www.agsm.edu.au/~bobm/teaching/SGTM/lect07pr-3.pdf

Actually, this raises another issue: I use Helvetica Bold for gfont but
Goudy Sans for grfont, but Helvetica is perhaps 10% larger than other fonts
of the same point size.  In TeX there is a scaling adjustment that can be
used to match the sizes.  Is there an equivalent in groff?

Bob Marks

--
Robert MARKS, Economics/AGSM Bldg,
              ASB, UNSW SYDNEY, NSW 2052,