[Groff] vim syntax file for groff -- treatment of .ig

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: [Groff] vim syntax file for groff -- treatment of .ig
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:01:42 -0800 (PST)

This is for Alejandro Lopez-Valencia, if he's still fielding reports on his
very useful and tasteful nroff.vim syntax file.

This synax file currently highlights a .ig environment as a comment, but
assumes that the .ig will always be closed by a double-dot (..), even if the
.ig has an argument signaling a different closer.

I am not hoping that nroff.vim would correctly highlight the more general .ig.
That may not be easy to do.  However, as it stands, it is incorrectly coloring
text outside the .ig as a comment.  To have the nroffIgnore syntax region only
treat .ig's with no argument should be an easier fix.

(I don't mind if nroff fails to treat the more general .ig as a comment region.
 I use .ig ## to embed Scheme code, as suggested by Oliver Laumann's unroff, so
the enclosed text is not really a comment anyway.   Perhaps it is advisable to
define a new syntax region for .ig ##, so it shows up as a different (single)
color, and can't be mistaken for nroff text or nroff comment.  That would also
be easy to add, though it may not be mainstream enough to merit inclusion in
the standard syntax file.)

--d

Be a better friend, newshound, and