Re: [Groff] colored background?

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: Re: [Groff] colored background?
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:52:01 +0900

Tadziu Hoffmann <address@hidden>, 2008-02-22 18:07 +0100:

> > > I ask because for program listings and other "verbatim"
> > > output, dblatex and the DocBook XSL stylesheets for FO
> > > output cause the output to be rendered with a light-gray
> > > background. That really helps to set the program listing
> > > off from the rest of text.
>
> > (Personally, I find it looks ugly compared to the plain white
> > background used by Brian Kernighan, W. Richard Stevens, etc.)
>
> Yes, usually it's a "Hey! Look what my word processor can do!"
> gimmick.

True -- I think in the case of authoring technical documentation
at least, most authors would be a lot better off focusing on
trying to make their content accurate and precise, and less on
formatting niceties.

> But I guess it's also useful for conference posters
> or the like.  Or maybe for "Danger!" or "Important" notices.
>
> Here is something to play around with, maybe you'll find it
> useful:

Thanks very much -- the following works like a charm. One
question: Is there a way I could modify it so that the filled box
extends all the way across the whole line length? (i.e., from the
left margin / page offset to the right margin).

Also, when I process a doc with this, it displays as expected but
I get a message saying "troff: automatically ending diversion `BX'
on exit." Is there some tweak I need to make to eliminate that?

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/