Re: [Groff] Fw: groff and Vista privileges

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Fw: groff and Vista privileges
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:00:04 -0500

> ... I just got an new Dell XPS laptop with Vista.  On
> this machine with this operating system I cannot get
> groff to complete. ...

> I think that the program is trying to write
> intermediate files in the C:/ directory.

Groff does generate some temporary files. I'm not sure
how the environment system works on Vista, or that
class of operating systems in general, but the groff(1)
manpage provides the following info:

 GROFF_TMPDIR
  The directory in which temporary files are created.  If this  is
  not  set  but the environment variable TMPDIR instead, temporary
  files are created in the directory $TMPDIR.  On MS-DOS and  Win-
  dows 32  platforms,  the  environment variables TMP and TEMP (in
  that order) are searched also, after  GROFF_TMPDIR  and  TMPDIR.
  Otherwise,  temporary  files are created in /tmp.  The refer(1),
  groffer(1), grohtml(1),  and  grops(1)  commands  use  temporary
  files.

So you might want to create a tmp directory in your
"My Documents" directory or similar, and point one
of the environment variables (GROFF_TMPDIR, TMP,
TEMP) to it.

-- Larry
--- Begin Message --- Subject: groff and Vista privileges Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:08:29 -0800
Werner, I have been happily using groff for perhaps 10 years on W2K and
subsequently XP machines.  I just got an new Dell XPS laptop with Vista.  On
this machine with this operating system I cannot get groff to complete.  I
think this problem must be very common in Vista circles, but extensive
searching on the web has not produced a solution.

In earlier trials I was getting the message
smay7% fp -s test
C:\Applications\groff\bin\groff:fatal error: open stdout: Permission denied
Saved test in test.ps
smay7%

After thrashing around a lot trying to debut I am getting
smay7% fp -s test
C:/Applications/groff/bin/groff: cannot execute: The requested operation
requires elevation.
Saved test in test.ps
smay7%

Please note that if is log on as Administrator, the program runs successfully.
However when I logon as myself (another user with Administrator privileges) I
get the message above.  I think that the program is trying to write
intermediate files in the C:/ directory.  With Vista, if I otherwise try to
write or save to this directory a window pops up asking for confirmation that I
really want to write to this restricted directory.  My confirming "click" is
only valid if I have Administrator privileges.  I think groff or one of it's
children may be trying to write to C:/ but is not configured to ask for, or not
need, permission.  Have you heard or are able to contribute something on this
issue.  Thanks in advance, John

Dr. John W. Smay
705A North Lucia Avenue
Redondo Beach, Ca. 90277