Re: [Groff] Groff Version in Debian and [K]ubuntu

From: brian m. carlson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff Version in Debian and [K]ubuntu
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:43:00 +0000

[Take note: Debian bug CC'd]

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 02:13:20PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
However, it is truly frustrating for all concerned when The Debian
Way turns out to be the wrong way because, as you are aware, The
Debian Way does not concede the possibility of error in itself. :-)

Well, they've solved a particular problem, and the current groff can't
replace this particular need so I can understand that they don't want
to upgrade.  Do complain more to them: maybe someone at Debian gets
interested enough (as Bruno Haible was) to add proper CJK support
based on Unicode.

I'm happy to (try to) add kinsoku shori handling for Debian[0], if Colin Watson will tell me what version he wants to update to (1.19.2 or CVS; the latter is my preference because of UTF-8 input). If he doesn't say anything, I'm going to assume that CVS groff is acceptable.

Maybe I don't understand the problem with width handling, but it seems like you get this for free with Unicode, which is another reason that I think CVS groff would be better.

Do note that Ubuntu has probably not updated to a newer groff because they probably don't need it, and it would be a regression to CJK support (which they need) if they did. Note that this is just speculation; I don't actually know what Ubuntu's needs are, since I only use Debian.

[0] To make Werner's life easier, I'm happy to disclaim copyright on those changes, using the standard FSF form if necessary, should I produce usable work.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
a typesetting engine: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack