Re: [Groff] groff Image Formats

From: Frank Jahnke
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff Image Formats
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:03:26 -0700

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 07:52 +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> What difficulties do you have?

Well, in the most recent example, I used OO.o draw to combine three .jpg
images into a single file after cropping them with gimp.  These came
from a colleague's CAD program -- I could start with a different format,
but JPEGs are pretty standard.

OO.o failed with the conversion -- parts of the image do not appear in
the output file -- as did conversion with ImageMagick.  Exporting as
a .png and using Acrobat (on Windows) to crop further and convert
to .eps gives a file without a bounding box.  That causes groff to choke
-- nothing printed for the figure at all.

I've tried variations on this theme, and all have had challenges.
Ultimately, I exported as a .pdf from OO.o, converted that to .ps in
Acrobat, and then converted .ps to .eps with ImageMagick, which worked.
It looks terrible on the screen (font issues?) but it prints properly,
at least on my Postscript printer.  Incidentally, gimp would not print
the original images either on-screen or on the printer with enough
fidelity, though it does the cropping OK.

I will try the tools you mention (deleted here for brevity), but after
the current proposal has been submitted.

> I believe that your question is rather: How can I embed JPG images and
> the like so that they can be extracted as such after conversion of the
> groff PS output file to the PDF format...

That is a good restatement.

Frank