[Groff] RE: Small bug in groff 1.19.2 footnote number control?

From: Ted Harding
Subject: [Groff] RE: Small bug in groff 1.19.2 footnote number control?
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:27:57 +0100 (BST)

[Thanks, Werner, for forwarding to the froff-list my
 response to Luke Kendall, which I had inadvertently
 copied to bug-groff instead of changing it to groff.
 Apologies for that, I'm re-posting it to groff so that
 it isn't buried under two layers of "MIME"!]

Regarding footnote numbering, when you want to reset the
footnote number to 1 for the next footnote, try

.nr ft*nr 0 1

since (unless things have changed recently) the mm macros
store the footnote number from the previous footnote in
\n[ft*nr], which is auto-incrementing whenever \*F is called,
since \*F is defined as

.ds F \v'-.4m'\s-3\\n+[ft*nr]\s0\v'.4m'

(\n[ft*nr] is initialised by the same ".nr ft*nr 0 1", which
gives it an initial value of 0, to be incremented by 1 every
time it is referenced as \n+[ft*nr], as opposed to referencing
it as \n[ft*nr] which simply outputs its value but does not
increment it).

I don't think classic troff mm's ":p" has ever been in groff's
mm, which has used "ft*nr" as long as I've known it (about 1990)!
So your

.nr :p 0

would simply set a number register which never gets used!

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861