Re: [Groff] gkurz, a short introduction for german users

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] gkurz, a short introduction for german users
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:16:50 +0200

> Please have a look and point out errors.

  "... beim Kopieren in die Kommandozeile gibt es aber eine
  Fehlermeldung."

I can't reproduce what you're saying about hyphens vs. minus
signs with regard to cutting and pasting to the command line.
I use acrobat reader to view a PDF version of your document.
When I copy your first example to the command line, my acrobat
translates the minus signs (internally coded as "AD") to spaces.
In your second example, the hyphens (coded as "2D") retain their
encoding as "2D" (hyphen/minus in ASCII) and are thus copied
correctly to the command line.

(But of course the minus signs look much better (with regard
to "looking like a command line") in the printed document, in
particular when using non-typewriter fonts such as Times.)

  "Zollzeichen sind keine Anführungsstriche."

The thingies you're referring to as "Zollzeichen" are
"typewriter quotes", not "Zollzeichen" (inch marks).
The glyphs used to properly denote inches (feet, seconds,
minutes) are "primes", not typewriter quotes.  (Even Adobe
gets this wrong (www.adobe.com/education/pdf/type_primer.pdf),
and they should know better, being a company that practically
grew up on computer typography.)
Primes are (usually) a bit longer and slightly slanted.
Typewriter quotes should never be used in typography except
in the context of emulating typewriters (and on teletype-like
devices with a limited character repertoire).

  "Die beiden letztgenannten Zeichen werden im troff Modus
  ignoriert."

No, they're ignored in *nroff* mode, i.e., on devices which
can't reasonably display them.  (Additionally, german grammar
requires a hyphen in compound nouns, so it should be "Die beiden
letztgenannten Zeichen werden im nroff-Modus ignoriert.")