Re: [Groff] building process stuck when building groff-current using Min

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] building process stuck when building groff-current using MinGW
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:39:39 +0200 (CEST)

> I removed the groff-current source directory, extracted the package,
> and maked again. I discovered something interesting. At first make,
> make stopped much earlier.

Indeed.  It stops with a very mysterious error not related to groff at
all.  Is it possible that your netpbm package is broken, containing a
bad `pnmtopng' executable?  Can you call this program successfully at
all?

> "make clean". Maked again, things were different - it went on,

Because the call with pnmtopng produced an (invalid) gnu.png output
file which is not be removed by a `make clean' but by `make distclean'
only -- gnu.png is normally part of the tarball, not to be created by
a normal build.

> tbl went wrong at "mixed_pickles" just as described before. Note
> that pdfmark was ok this time.

You can test that manually: Simply say

  tbl < mixed_pickles.roff > mixed_pickles.tbl

and check whether this call runs successful.  Otherwise, please use
gdb to produce a backtrace.