Re: [Groff] Re: gtroff enhancement

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: gtroff enhancement
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 13:09:53 +0200 (CEST)

> I've in the process of debugging grohtml and macro sets and was
> wondering whether it might be useful to add a debugging mode to
> groff.

Hmm.

> I tend to find debugging diversions difficult as well as tracking
> contents of registers and strings etc.  So my thoughts turned to
> whether it would be possible to add a pseudo gdb interface to groff.

This looks like a big effort.  To debug diversions I rather suggest
adding a dumping macro which displays the current contents in an
unambiguous form, including all `internal' characters and nodes.

> Once a filename:line pair has been added to 'node' - I suspect that
> a number of these are pretty easy to implement.

Maybe, I don't know.  I've absolutely no experience in adding an
interactive interface to a batch-like program.