Re: [Groff] building process stuck when building groff-current using Min

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] building process stuck when building groff-current using MinGW
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:29:19 +0100

Yu-ning Feng wrote:
> I downloaded groff-current from http://groff.ffii.org/groff/devel/
> and tried to build it in MinGW.
>
> binutils 2.17.50
> gcc, g++ 3.4.5
> mingw-runtime 3.13
> w32api 3.10
> msys 1.0.10
>
> when making, it stuck. The last message printed was as below:
>
> GROFF_COMMAND_PREFIX=''; export GROFF_COMMAND_PREFIX;
> GROFF_BIN_PATH=`echo /f/tools/groff-current/src/roff/groff
> /f/tools/groff-current/src/roff/troff
> /f/tools/groff-current/src/devices/grops | sed -e 's|  *|:|g'`; export
> GROFF_BIN_PATH; /f/tools/groff-current/src/roff/groff/groff
> -F/f/tools/groff-current/font -F/f/tools/groff-current/font
> -M/f/tools/groff-current/tmac -M/f/tools/groff-current/tmac -M. -Tps
> -mom examples/letter.mom >examples/letter.ps
>
> The making process simply not went on, doing nothing, and did not exit.
>
> Need some help. Thanks.

Let me guess; you're using MSYS, and you ignored the advice to steer
clear of rxvt?  I think I need to assert that more authoritatively, in
the README.MinGW file, (which I hope you've read).

This is a known, and consistently reproducible problem:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.printing.groff.general/2094

If you update to an MSYS-1.0.11 pre-release snapshot, you can start
msys.bat with the --norxvt option; for earlier releases, get rid of
rxvt.exe from the <msys-root>/bin directory, then close and restart
all open MSYS windows.

For some tips on setting up a native Woe32 console for use with MSYS:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.msys/3930

HTH,
Keith.