Re: [Groff] German quotation marks in ms

From: Gunnar Ritter
Subject: Re: [Groff] German quotation marks in ms
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 00:00:47 +0200

Axel Kielhorn <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Use whichever is most acceptable! There is a very slight difference
> > between \[Bq] and ,, : to get ,, to be exactly like \[Bq] you must
> >
> > a) Move the first "," leftwards by pointsize*0.0012 points
> > b) Then move the second leftwards by pointsize*0.002 points.
>
> I don't think that would be visible,

Unfortunately, this depends on the font you are using.
With Times, the difference is rather small, but if you
change e.g. to Palatino, a comma is noticeably larger
than a quote.

> but I think I'll stay with ,, '', it looks more german
> than " ". (I have an aversion againt " because I see it
> too often instead of reall quotation marks.)

How about using UTF-8 quotes, as in „German-style“?
UTF-8 supplies characters (not lookalikes) for all
kinds of quotes one can think about, and with the X
Window system, it is not difficult to get them onto
one's keyboard as well.

        Gunnar