[Groff] .MC -> .1C in ms macro

From: Ted Harding
Subject: [Groff] .MC -> .1C in ms macro
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:49:05 -0000 (GMT)

While I'm at it, I've lately been playing with a work-round
for the often awkward feature of the ".MC" and ".1C" macros
in the ms macros, that when you break out of MC back to 1C
you also get a page-break.

While the me macros allow you to go from 2 columns back to
1 column on the same page, you can only get 2 columns (not
3 or more) with me macros.

Rather than re-write s.tmac, I've subverted the workings
of .MC and .1C as illustrated below (to see the effect,
typeset it in 10-point TR with 6in line length).

.LP
.nr POold \n[PO]
.pl 4.0i
.MC 1.7i
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
This is a lot of text.
.br
.br
.nr address@hidden 1
.pl
.po \n[POold]u
.nr PO \n[POold]u
.LP
.sp 1
.1C
.LP
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.
This is a lot of text on much longer lines.

[The first block of text has is repeated 46 times, the second
is repeated 12 times).

You still have to do a bit of hand-editing, though (e.g. of
the ".pl 4i" re-definition of page length) to get the layout
you want.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>