Re: [Groff] Strategy for fixing tbl

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] Strategy for fixing tbl
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 18:43:29 -0500

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:
> > I'm going to magically suppose that we have added to this preamble
> > the setting of a numeric register named '3bc' that counts the number
> > of columns containing block entries -- in this case, 1.  I don't
> > know how to do that, yet, but bear with me.
>
> I think this has to be done within tbl (on the C++ side, not on the
> macro side).

I came to the same conclusion, and coded it that way last night.

> > Am I hallucinating?  This looks really simple.
>
> I think it is.

I still think it is, too, but my attempt to implement it doesn't quite
work -- the actual widths it's emitting are way too small.  Patch enclosed
for your review.  I'm pretty sure that my C++ logic is right, and that I've
screwed up by misunderstanding how troff works and generating the wrong
macro computation.  It could well be some kind of silly units error.