[Groff] tbl problems in man

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] tbl problems in man
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:56:53 +0100 (CET)

Eric,

looking again at groff_mm.man, I see that using T{...T} in tables
gives ugly results.  I think that this is a limitation of tbl which
can't be worked around: For text blocks, you can't say `use the
remaining line width' because they are processed earlier than the rest
of the table.

With other words, as soon as we have table entries which need T{...T}
-- and this happens quite often if the column contains more than a few
words -- we can't use a table at all to get a decently looking result.

I see no solution to this problem.  Specifying a width argument to
columns doesn't help either without a lot of troff register trickery
to compute the correct width in advance.

Please revert to the previous formatting (I suggest using .TQ instead
of .TP to avoid empty lines).  Doclifter might produce good results
for HTML, but the visual degradation if formatted for other devices is
not acceptable.