Re: [Groff] Correct protocol for making changes

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Correct protocol for making changes
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 19:44:10 +0100 (CET)

> I have been applying the eyeball test to .SY/.OP/.YS conversions of
> chem.man, grog.man, and the roff2.man pages, and it looks like I
> have managed not to screw the pooch this time.  [...]

Some other observations:

  . The proper way to write an ellipsis is `.\|.\|.\&', optionally
    starting with `\&'.  Please don't omit the `\|' -- it looks quite
    ugly in PostScript output if the dots don't have enough horizontal
    separation.

  . Don't use real tabs in tables; use the `tab' keyword to substitute
    them with, say, `@'.

    BTW, trailing and leading whitespace in tbl fields *do* matter and
    should be avoided in general.  You need the `nospaces' keyword (a
    GNU extension) to make tbl ignore them.

  . If you use a table within a man page, the first line should be

      .\" t

    Similar key letters exist for refer and eqn.  This is documented
    in the `groff_man' man page.

  . I've further refined chem.man, using .SY/.YS within the man page
    also (this is, outside of the synopsis section) -- they are quite
    handy.  Do you see problems if I do so?

  . It's better to say

      .B "foo bar baz"

    instead of

      .B foo bar baz

    Reasons:

      (a) it's processed faster (no issue today, but...)
      (b) it works with old troff also (which has a limit of
          9 macro arguments)