[Groff] eqn to MathML

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [Groff] eqn to MathML
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:47:19 -0500

doclifter has reached a point in its evolution at which the single
new feature that would add the most value is probably the ability
to translate eqn markup to MathML.  I have looked for programs that do
this, and I have found no evidence that any exist.

Having looked at the problem in depth, I am beginning to think that
doclifter itself is not the right place to solve this problem.  It is
notoriously difficult to verify that two different parsers accept the
same input language, and I'm thinking that rather than build another
eqn parser in Python it would be smarter to modify geqn so that it can
emit MathML and have doclifter call geqn.

Comments?  Thoughts?  Werner, if I wrote patches to do this would you
take them?