Re: [Groff] Re: Simplifying groff documentation

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 06:42:10 -0500

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:

> > I could also have it emit a FIXME warning that hand polishing might
> > be needed here.  I try to avoid those without a really good reason,
> > though.  Presently I think there's only one, attached to a truly
> > wacky edge case in processing of list markup.
>
> Is it possible to have a `verbose' mode of doclifter which suggests
> improvements to the man page, or rather, which tells the user that
> handling of some snippets is probably flawed?

Certainly.

I think I may be able to avoid this, though.  I had an idea yesterday
about how to handle .ti in the general case; I'm following it up now.

FYI, I found that only 78 of 13,466 (0.03%) pages contain .ti.  That's
a low enough hit rate that I won't feel bad if we have to punt this case
with a warning.