Re: [Groff] An attempt to make Werner happy :-)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] An attempt to make Werner happy :-)
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 09:57:05 +0100 (CET)

> Enclosed version of groff.1 uses only standard man macros and .de;
> I've inserted .in and .br macros to make the Synopis pretty again.

Hmm.  It's really bizarre that I have to use *optical* formatting for
TTY -- and your example looks fine only for a 80-character wide
terminal -- to get a decent lifting.  I can't believe that this is the
right solution!

Both the inserted `.br' and `.in +6' commands fail for any other
output device as DVI or PS.

What about the stuff used troff.man:

  .nr a \n(.j
  .ad l
  .nr i \n(.i
  .in +\w'\fBtroff 'u
  .ti \niu
  .B troff
  .
  .de OP
  .  ie \\n(.$-1 \
  .    RI "[\ \fB\\$1\fP" "\\$2" "\ ]"
  .  el \
  .    RB "[\ " "\\$1" "\ ]"
  ..
  .
  .OP \-abcivzCERU
  .OP \-d cs
  .OP \-f fam
  .OP \-F dir
  .OP \-I dir
  .OP \-m name
  .OP \-M dir
  .OP \-n num
  .OP \-o list
  .OP \-r cn
  .OP \-T name
  .OP \-w name
  .OP \-W name
  .br
  .ad \na

This assures that the indentation and line length for the options is
correct for all output devices.