Re: <OK> [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: <OK> [Groff] Simplifying groff documentation
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:48:24 -0500

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:
> I don't disagree.  However, how can I assure that the final result is
> typographically well formatted?  While working on groff.texinfo I've
> found many shortcomings -- and normally texinfo does a good job.  And
> I'm really not willing to sacrifice that.

makeinfo's ability to generate DVI directly isn't going to go away, so
you have nothing to lose.

Longer-term, your solution is probably in the print side of the
DocBook toolchain getting better.  My money is on Apache FOP for that.
One advantage of the "sinister master plan" is that if DocBook does
become the common exchange format that everybody uses, a lot of
time and attention that is currently diffused elsewhere will go
into impriving the DocBook->Postscript path.

In the meantime, I'll cheerfully admit I'm really more focused on the
"render to HTML" problem than the "render to print" problem.