Re: [Groff] multiple EPS images placed on a page

From: Dean Allen Provins
Subject: Re: [Groff] multiple EPS images placed on a page
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:30:07 -0700

Joachim:

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 05:54:24PM +0100, Joachim Walsdorff wrote:

> Dean Allen Provins schrieb:
> >Readers:
> >
> >For the record, HDTBL works just fine.  I ended up with code like the
> >following (for A0 paper):
> >
> >  .po    1c
> >  .sp   |0.5c
> >  .TBL cols=12 width='9.7c'
> >  .ll    116c
> >  .pl    116c
> >  .TR
> >  .TD
> >  .PSPIC file.eps 9.7c
> >  .TD
> >  ....       more .TD, .PSPIC lines
> >  .TR
> >  .TD
> >  .PSPIC anotherfile.eps 9.7c
> >  .TD
> >  .nop       \" when no EPS file is needed here
> >  .ETB
> >
> >And executed groff as:
> >
> >  groff  -mhdtbl  -P-l -P-p -PA0 file.ms > file.ps
> >
> >to get a nice landscape plots with a maximum of 12 columns (some had no
> >EPS files).
> >
> >The only concern was a multitude of error messages:
> >
> >  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:24: Table width larger than column width.
> >
> To avoid this warning You must a)  place the .ll request before .TBL and
> b) increase the linelength a little, because 12x9.7 is 106.4.

See my reply to Werner.  The '.ll' does precede '.TBL' and the line
length is less than the '.ll' length.

> >  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:24: multiplication overflow
> >  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:24: division by zero
> >
> These messages result from a bug in hdtbl.tmac. (I didn't test with
> extreme long lines.) I will look for it as soon as possible.
> >    --- last 2 lines repeated many times ---
> >  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:24: multiplication overflow
> >  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:24: division by zero
> >  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:29: numeric overflow
> >  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:31: numeric overflow
> >  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:33: numeric overflow
> >    --- last line repeated to the end of input ---
> >
> >where line 24 was the .TBL line above, and lines 29, 31, 33 and all
> >PSPIC lines thereafter were the 'numeric overflow' lines.
> >
> >None seemed to do any harm, but clearly there is a problem.
> >
> >Regards and thanks for the help,
> >
> >Dean

Thanks for your work Joachim.  As my first post indicated, I was trying to
do manually what your macro does very well - and I kept making errors.
I wrote a little Python code to generate the groff code which uses
your macro.  Your work made it possible to review dozens of histograms
and statistical analyses very easily.

Regards,

Dean

--