Re: [SPAM?]: Re: [Groff] multiple EPS images placed on a page

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [SPAM?]: Re: [Groff] multiple EPS images placed on a page
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:01:33 +0100 (CET)

> If you have only one large page then HDtbl doesn't add
> header/footerlines, because pageheaders appear only beginning with
> the second page and pagefooterlines don't appear on the last page.

For other readers of this list: the hdtbl package currently sets a
footer trap

  .wh -1i BM

and also defines an end-of-input macro EM which removes the BM macro.

> So if You have changed the groff pagelength to 335c, for raw groff
> with `.pl 335c', or for macropackages possibly by setting
> appropriate registers or strings, and also for grops the papersize
> to a0, You will get one a0-page without header/footerlines on which
> You can place arbitrary HDtbl-tables.

This is not correct, I think.  If you increase the page length after
the above trap command, this trap position moves up since the relative
value `-1i' is immediately converted to an absolute position, using
the page length value which is active at the time `.wh' is called.  As
a consequence, if the table is big enough, this trap is sprung before
the .EM macro can disable BM.

In my opinion, the hdtbl macros shouldn't set traps at all.  I'll
probably move the layout part of hdtbl to a separate file, but I don't
have a sensible file name yet.  Suggestions are highly welcome.