[Groff] tbl: text blocks vs. centering

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: [Groff] tbl: text blocks vs. centering
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 23:22:27 -0400

This is a minimal example that reflects my problem. I'm using a fairly recent CVS version of groff on OSX 10.4.

.LP
\&...
.TS H
allbox expand;
cbp9 cbp9 cbp9w(3i)
cp9v10 lp9v10 lp9v10 .
Pattern Indication      Solutions
.TH
T{
Power LED on
for 2 seconds
or longer
T}      T{
Power-on Self Test Failed
T}      Replace the gadget.
.TE

The text in the first column should be centered, but is left- justified. Displaying a PS version, you can also see that the two cells using text blocks are higher than the one-liner cell. If the one-liner was vertically centered, I could understand that, but it obviously isn't.

The tbl(1) manpage says that text in cells is vertically centered unless you use the T or D specifiers. That doesn't seem to be the case here either.

Can anyone shed some light here?

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"