Re: [Groff] "Cosmetic" filling

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] "Cosmetic" filling
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:12:37 +0200 (CEST)

> [1] I have just written a 1-page document in which I noticed that
> two standalone lines, as output, and one final line of a paragraph,
> all seemed to exactly fill the line-length.  I verified this using a
> duplicate of the lines terminated with "\p": at high magnification
> in ghostview the two ends are at exactly the same vertical position,
> to within ocular resolution!

Your observation is correct, I think: I noted the same with grotty
output, and I dislike it very much to see the last line of a paragraph
flushed to the whole length, introducing, say, a single two-letter
space where all other spaces consists of a single-space character.

I haven't found out yet the cause of this behaviour; I invite you to
use a debugger so that you can find the relevant spot. :-)