Re: [Groff] Inserting/importing jpeg photos into groff text?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Inserting/importing jpeg photos into groff text?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:14:37 +0200 (CEST)

> > Is there an easy way to get jpeg photos into a groff document that
> > I have overlooked?
>
> If you have access to a Mac, Graphic Converter (included in the
> system) is a good solution to convert jpeg to eps as an ascii-hex
> image file.  [...]

Get the netpbm suite of graphic tools!  This is a bunch of small
filter programs which allows you to do virtually anything with
graphics and any graphic format.  Conversion from JPEG to EPS is done
as follows:

  cat foo.jpeg | jpegtopnm | pnmtops > foo.eps

Both jpegtopnm and pnmtops have options to control the conversion
process.  Note that some crippled shells (like on Windows) don't allow
such piping; you have to use temporary files instead:

  jpegtopnm < foo.jpeg > foo.pnm
  pnmtops < foo.pnm > foo.eps

I'm quite sure that there are precompiled binaries of netpbm for your
favourite platform available in the internet.  Since netpbm tools are
working on the command line, no GUI issues can arise.