Re: [Groff] Re: grap-1.36 clip and logscale patch

From: Ted Faber
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: grap-1.36 clip and logscale patch
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:31:05 -0800

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 11:41:21AM +0300, Michail Vidiassov wrote:
> Dear Ted,
>
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Ted Faber wrote:
>
> >>one more wish:
> >>
> >>Add DESTDIR to install and uninstall targets
> >> to support staged installations.
> >>
> >I'm not entirely sure what you want here.  The deinstall target removes
> >exactly what the install target put there, and you can tune them both
> >using --prefix --with-doc-dir, etc.
> >
> >What do you have in mind for what DESTDIR does?  Sorry to be dense.
>
> prefix affects not only where files are installed, but
> also how things are configured (filenames hardcoded or in config files,
> man references).
>
> DESTDIR is a way to install into temporary location, make
> tarball, or package, or file list of that install and only then
> do the real install to where prefix pointed. That is called staged
> install.
>
> This is a discussion in which a dense author was persuaded by his users
> to add DESTDIR support
>
> http://www.apsis.ch/pound/pound_list/archive/2006/2006-02/1139396110000

And importantly tells me what you mean.

I've added DESTDIR to the Makefile.  The manual page can be munged by this,
but honestly it's reasonably likely to be screwed up anyway.  The --help
and --version information will be correct and the man page points there
for authoritative information on installation location.

I wouldn't have thought to add DESTDIR, but it seems like it could be
useful, and it's a trivial change.

Thanks for pointing it out.

--
http://www.lunabase.org/~faber