[Groff] Re: groff + mp

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: groff + mp
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:48:25 +0100 (CET)

> > No -- the RE macro in groff is Clark's original code.  Until now there
> > were never any complaints, but it is probably an enhancement to use
> > the code from dvips.  Opinions?
>
> There could not be any complaints since any font was reencoded only
> once, thus there were no two fonts with the same UniqueID in PS
> output.  But as we are going Unicode there may be several
> reencodings of the same font used in grops output.

Multiple reeencodings happen all the time in LaTeX.  If this dvips
snippet works fine, I think we can take it too...  Just tell me
whether I shall use it :-)

> And all reencodings get the same UniqueID.  It seems UniqueID has
> something to do with caching.  If there is no UniqueID no caching is
> done.  Since performance is not a high priority and the effect of
> UniqueID is questionnable it may be simply omitted from PS fonts we
> obtain by reencoding.

Hmm, how shall we handle this?  grops doesn't handle UniqueID
specially.

> See the first result of the following search for insight [...]

Thanks.  I still don't know enough about this topic (and admittedly,
I'n not very interested in further investigation) to decide about the
`right' way.