[Groff] Re: preconv

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: preconv
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 17:25:18 +0100 (CET)

Dear Bruno,

thanks a lot for your fixes!  I've applied them almost verbatim.

>   - "chinese-euc" is an alias for GB2312. I looked it up in the
>     XEmacs sources.

Can you provide a complete list of encodings supported on XEmacs (the
latest version preferred)?  I would like to mark them correctly in my
table for reference purposes.

>   - EUC-JISX0213 and Shift_JISX0213 are supported by glibc and
>     libiconv nowadays.  You can add them to the table.

I suppose those encodings exist on XEmacs, right?

>   - Do you know the distinction Emacs makes between "iso-2022-jp-3",
>     "iso-2022-jp-3-compatible", and "iso-2022-jp-3-strict"?

No, but I assume it is related to the positions where ISO-2022 escape
sequences are in the data stream -- the `strict' one probably avoids
states crossing a newline character.  Do you have details?

> - In BOM_table, I would not comment out the little-endian UTF-32
>   BOM.  It is the only way to prevent misinterpreting a file in
>   little-endian UTF-32 as little-endian UTF-16.  You have to trust
>   that the input file will not have NUL characters.

Well, it's actually not necessary to make a difference: The `extract'
method of the groff's `string' class removes all null bytes before
passing the data to the function which tests for the coding tag --
note that `check_encoding_tag' is called before `iconv'.