[Groff] Localization question

From: Fabrice Ménard
Subject: [Groff] Localization question
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:14:49 +0200

Hi,

I'm writting a package macros for my customers in France.  The goal is to
localize all the standard packages (ms, me, mm and mom) in one place.  By
this way users invoke groff in this way:

  groff -me -m fr XXX

for the french localization.

Unfortunatly, the ms package defines a TOC string and mom the TOC macro.  So I
must protect my translations with .if requests.

So, here is my question:

Is there a clean way to know which package is in use ?

Actually I found that the package ms looks for a number register GS and mm for
a string register PH in order to know if they have been already loaded.
Maybe the maintainers of the standard packages should define a unique string
identifying the package ?

By the way, let me know if such localization tmac files would be of interest
and could be distributed with groff ?

--
Fabrice Ménard
address@hidden