Printer memory [Was: RE: [Groff] slack4, groff and ps]

From: Daniel de Kok
Subject: Printer memory [Was: RE: [Groff] slack4, groff and ps]
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:17:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, (Ted Harding) wrote:
The only thing I specially did (and indeed have done ever since),
since the machine was so weak, was to buy a PostScript printer.
With that, the PostScript output from groff went straight to the
printer and did not require conversion in the computer to another
printer language.

This makes me wonder. I am still doing conversion to PCL, either through grolj4 or Ghostscript, because the printer memory requirements are lower for printing PCL than PS (according to HP). Does anyone have some advise on what amount of printer memory would be OK for doing direct PS printing without too many printing delays? I have a LaserJet 5.

-- Daniel