Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:34:40 +0200 (CEST)

> The problem with groff's `write' requests is that they don't work,
> if the user fails to specify the `-U' flag, when invoking groff.
>
> This flag activates the so called `unsafe' mode.  While it probably
> isn't the case, this carries the connotation that it makes groff in
> some way harmful, and therefore, some users may be reluctant to use
> it.

It can indeed be harmful, similar to LaTeX's \write functionality.
Due to groff's embedding into the man page system it makes sense to
have this restriction.

Hmm, I wonder whether it makes sense to provide an environment
variable to handle that, say, GROFF_UNSAFE.  If not run as root, this
variable would be equivalent to -U.

Alternatively, the -U mechanism could be made more fine grained, this
is, to differentiate between `open' and `opena', and the other
disabled commands.

Comments?