Re: [Groff] Escape characters in -man output

From: Jörgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] Escape characters in -man output
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 06:52:38 +0200

On Wed Jul  6 15:33:19 2005, address@hidden wrote:
> I'm getting escape characters in my -man output -- the 0m
> stuff.  I googled and it isn't just me:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-groff/2003-03/msg00000.html
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-groff/2002-08/msg00092.html
>
> http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2003-March/015970.html
>
> I'm running version 1.19 that came bundled with Mandrake 10.1.
> I can send details but it looks like this is an old problem --
> is there a fix and/or work-around (other than a sed script that
> strips this stuff out of the file)?

Isn't this the stuff documented in groff's NEWS file?
Quoting under 1.18, Grotty:

  SGR escape sequences are now used by default for underlining and bold
  printing also, no longer using the backspace character trick.  To revert
  to the old behaviour, use the `-c' switch.

The same text also suggests how to make it work with less(1) and man(1),
and that the environment variable GROFF_NO_SGR reverts to the old way of
bolding and underlining (with ^H).

I assume some Linux distributions never did the necessary changes to man,
less and their setups to make this work.  For what it's worth, Debian
Gnu/Linux (which I use) chose to disable the feature in groff instead:

  Disable the new ANSI colour/bold/underline escapes in nroff mode, because
  most pagers either fail to cope with it or need special options to do so.

/Jörgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "Koka lopplummer, bada Ross, loppor borta."
\X/ <address@hidden>                                   -- Jonas