Re: [Groff] grops and Unicode, Unicode in general.

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: Re: [Groff] grops and Unicode, Unicode in general.
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:41:43 +0400

Dear Erich,

you wrote to Wartan:
What is the current status regarding the denoted combination?
I would really like to have cyrillic working out-of-the-box (together with
other scripts, but Russian cyrillic worries me most :) with (at least)
PostScript output.

You can create those fonts yourself.  I did that once, and my russian is
even worse than my groff ;) but it works and really isn't that
difficult.  Here ist how I did it:

For PS-Output you need a russian *.afm file.

IMHO you miss the point.
The problem is not making cyrillic (and extended latin) working,
it is making it working "out of the box".

There are now lots of free (or easy to get) fonts with tons of glyphs in.
Groff is perfectly capable to use them for PS output and
can accept input in any one-byte code page.

Thus to enter the 21 century we have

1) To beg Werner to enable UTF input,
2) To choose some rich font set (MS Times New Roman/Arial/Courier New ?)
   and have dit files for them installed by default.
3) To include a demo of a text typeset in extended latin/cyrillic
                                     Sincerely, Michail