[Groff] Minor Problem Building from Distribution Tarball

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: [Groff] Minor Problem Building from Distribution Tarball
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:26:07 +0100

Werner,

To facilitate transferring from my CVS sandbox (on my Linux machine) to my
Win32 box, for testing the relocation patch, I did a `make dist'.  I then
used the resultant tarball to source this unofficial distribution on to the
Win32 host. (I'm not quite done with the relocation patch, BTW).

Normally, when I've built from a distribution, I just kept the build tree in
the same place as the source.  However, on this occasion I wanted to keep the
source tree clean, so I configured in a separate build directory, and
uncovered a small problem with the `doc' directory.  Specifically, the
`gnu.eps' file needs to be in the build directory when `webpage.html' is
formatted, but the make doesn't copy it from the source.  (This isn't a
problem with CVS builds in separate directories, because `gnu.eps' is itself
generated in the build directory at make time).

Attached patch fixes this, and has the additional side effect of causing make
to report `Nothing to be done' in doc, if already built (previously it did
some forced conditional commands):

   Correct `gnu.eps' handling for build from distribution tarball, with
   separate source and build directories.

   * doc/Makefile.sub: (examples.stamp): new target, forces copy of
   grnexmpl.g, groff.css and gnu.eps from source to build directory;
   generate gnu.eps from gnu.xpm if required; touch examples.stamp.
   (prepare_examples): make it depend on examples.stamp
   (CLEANADD): add examples.stamp.

Regards,
Keith.