Re: [Groff] German Umlaute, ISO-8859-1, postscript.

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] German Umlaute, ISO-8859-1, postscript.
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 22:19:45 +0200

On Sun May 16 20:04:28 2004, address@hidden wrote:
> (1) Redhat 9 has multibyte support enabled by default. This is set
> in /etc/sysconfig/i18n where my original entry was LANG="en_US.UTF-8" .
>
> (2) Obviously, by setting LANG and LC_CTYPE just in my shell I sort
> of created a mixed environment in which umlauts typed on my keyboard
> still got into the file as 2 byte sequences. With LANG=en_US in my
> So basically, all works as designed and it was just me fiddling
> around too much while thinking too little :)

This is maybe offtopic ... but the problem doesn't seem to be entirely your
fault.  IMHO, either Redhat shouldn't make UTF-8 the default, or your vi
clone is buggy. People do not expect their text files to *by default*
contain anything other than one-octet-per-character text[0].

BR,
/Jörgen

[0] At least not yet, and not in countries where iso8859-1 is enough.
Protocols and specific file formats yes, but not plain metadata-less
text files.

--
  // Jörgen Grahn        "Even if there was a market for it, nobody would
\X/ <address@hidden>   want to associate their company name with such