[Groff] PO Initialisation in 'ms' Macros Still Broken

From: MARSHALL Keith
Subject: [Groff] PO Initialisation in 'ms' Macros Still Broken
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:07:36 +0100

Werner,

This was discussed, at length, some fourteen months ago.

The problem observed, back then, was that any attempt to initialise the PO
register, before output of the first page had started, was overridden by
the first page initialisation routine, in the 'ms' macro package.  Some
patches were proposed at the time, but it would seem that they were never
applied.

IMHO, this should be fixed, if only to save future generations of groffers
from having to discover and resolve this problem the hard way, as I have
just done.

Attached is the patch I have adopted.  This is basically the same solution
as you yourself proposed, at the time of the original discussion, i.e. to
change the initialisation routine to make the setup of the PO register
conditional on its not having been previously defined.  However, your
original proposal was insufficient to apply an initial PO setting to the
cover page of a 'released paper' format document; to achieve that, I have
included an additional minor change in the RP macro definition.

AFAICT, the effect of these changes makes to behaviour of groff-ms
consistent with that which I observe on a SunOS 5.2 box, using the native
troff and ms macros of that platform.  There is just one minor difference,
which could be viewed as an advantage: the conditional initialisation of
PO in groff-ms allows it to be predefined on the command line; the SunOS
implementation does not allow this.

Best regards,
Keith.