Re: [Groff] Roman Numeral Page Numbers Error on Page Breaks

From: Andrew J. Piziali
Subject: Re: [Groff] Roman Numeral Page Numbers Error on Page Breaks
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:10:24 -0500 (CDT)

Alejandro, you wrote:

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:04:53 -0500 (CDT), Andrew J. Piziali wrote in
    <address@hidden>:

     >   When I added the request ".af % i" to format the page number in
     >the footer of an -ms document, groff started displaying the two
     >warning messages:

     >    Forward.ms:39: warning: numeric expression expected (got `i')
     >    Forward.ms:39: warning: missing closing delimiter

     >at each page break.  (The "i" in "got `i'" is incremented at each
     >page break.)

     >   What is the correct way to select a page footer page number
     >format?

    Not adding a definition to a preexisting macro, what you did, but
    modifying the string registers documented in "Headers and footers"
    in groff_ms(7).

I can find no escape to change the format of a number register, such as
\n[%].  If the even footer is defined as:

    .EF '%'\\*[bookTitle]''

what escape may I insert before the % that is equivalent to ".af % i"
and does not cause groff to emit warnings at .bp's?

--

                                                       / \
                                                      *---*