Re: [Groff] releasing new groff version soon

From: MARSHALL Keith
Subject: Re: [Groff] releasing new groff version soon
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:33:01 +0100

Hi Werner,

>> Please also note that my choice of 'arch/misc' for the new files is
>> entirely arbitrary; I will not be offended if you prefer an
>> alternative location.
>
> It's a good place.  Your changes are now in the CVS, with a minor
> alteration:
>
> - A sed script must not contain any comment line, except the first
>   one, for portability reasons (according to the GNU sed info pages).

Ah.  I missed that, or had forgotten -- I have been using sed for so
many years, that I rarely need to refer to the info pages now :-)

Just a thought though -- if we must lose all comments but the first,
would it not be better to retain the note about auto generation by
make, rather than the shebang?  After all, if a non-POSIX.2 sed can't
handle more than a single initial comment line, then there is a fair
probability that the shebang mechanism won't be supported either.

If you agree, the attached patch will make the change.

Best regards,
Keith.