Re: [Groff] Hyphens and Dashes

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] Hyphens and Dashes
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:30:12 +0200

On Wed Mar 31 07:48:28 2004, address@hidden wrote:
> At 07:49 p.m. 30/03/2004, Andrew J. Piziali wrote:
> >   Since we do have some professional typesetters in this community,
> >perhaps you might offer some advise on the proper length hyphen (or
> >dash) to use for an interjected phrase in a sentence.  For example,
> Typographical tradition changes from country to country *and* from age to
> age: change has become so fast that what was valid in the middle of last
> century is not anymore. To give you an example: the typesetting of quotes

A few data points:
- en dash with spaces seems to have started replacing em dash, no
  spacing in the US at least around 1950 (judging from the old SF
  anthologies I'm reading)
- modern sv_SE prefers en dash with spaces; probably migrated even
  earlier than the US
- I happen to like em dash, no spacing ;-)

BR,
/Jörgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "And then the design was ignored, and small children
\X/ <address@hidden>  with crayons were given the O'Reilly Perl books and