Re: [Groff] Re: Spam and virus cruft on address@hidden

From: jim
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Spam and virus cruft on address@hidden
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:52:30 +0100

    Werner> I do, but I'm not an administrator and can only remove
    Werner> spam which has been filtered out already, or approve mail
    Werner> which didn't come through :-(

Putting a filter like SpamAssassin into the chain would keep most of
the garbage at bay.

    Werner> I'm begging since months (well, since years actually) that
    Werner> some simple actions are taken, but the pace is extremely
    Werner> slow -- ffii.org is managed by volunteers...  I would like
    Werner> to avoid switching to a new host, but apparently the
    Werner> situation is getting worse daily.

Hmmm. :-( Looks like it is time to find a new home for the list...

    Werner> Note that today viruses are released in such short
    Werner> intervals that even professionally managed hosts are
    Werner> losing the battle (at least for one or two days until new
    Werner> filters are installed).

The virus drivel that's been infesting this list has largely come from
hosts using bogus SMTP envelopes and/or forged mail headers. These are
easily dealt with by most spam filters. The actual content of the mail
-- ie the current virus of the week with some M$ executable in an
attachment -- shouldn't matter. Not that checking the message content
should be overlooked of course.