Re: [Groff] Odd ms Macro Page Offset Register Behavior

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Odd ms Macro Page Offset Register Behavior
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:28:24 -0000 (GMT)

On 19-Jan-04 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> It seems that it is yet another unwanted side-effect of the "blank
>> line action".
>
> I haven't yet had time to investigate the problem -- in case your
> assumption is correct, please try the current CVS snapshot of groff
> which should have this problem fixed (see ChangeLog entry 2003-10-26).

My aplogies! Tadziu Hoffman's explanation is of course correct:

  .if 1 \{
  .  nr xyz 13
  .\}

introduces a blank line, so the "blank line macro" effect occurs
correctly. As Tadziu says, the correct way to do it is

  .if 1 \{\
  .  nr xyz 13
  .\}

(I had overlooked the missing final "\" in  ".if 1 \{" -- not a
"typo", I suppose, realy an "eye-o").

Going back to the original documentation (CSTR 54, section 16),
the authors describe conditional acceptance of input as follows:

  .if c anything
      If condition c true, accept "anything" as input;
      in multi-line case use \{anything\}

which, if you think about it, implies that if you break "anything"
away from "\{" onto the next line then you should continue the
".if 1 \{" line with "\".

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>