Re: [Groff] fractional point sizes with -ms

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] fractional point sizes with -ms
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:18:44 +0100 (CET)

> This is such an ugly hack, I urge you, please, please do not break
> our beloved -ms this way.

Well, show me another, *backwards-compatible* solution!  Otherwise I
don't object if someone implements a new `msx' package...

> Making assumption that point size < 300 and similar arbitrary
> limitations is simply not the way to go.  Through history, there are
> myriads of examples where similar limits have bitten back.  Badly.

It's not a limitation.  Old documents which don't use point sizes >=
300pt don't need a change at all.  Other old documents have to append
two zeroes to the number.  A small sed script could catch that.
(Admittedly, such a sed script could convert old documents to a
different, new syntax also.)