[Groff] Re: Re: MSVC Port--Issue with groff Hanging

From: Kees Zeelenberg
Subject: [Groff] Re: Re: MSVC Port--Issue with groff Hanging
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 20:39:09 +0100

>From http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ipc/base/createpipe.asp I
gather that if BUFSIZ = 0, the default buffering is used. I supposethis
means a BUFSIZ equal to the normal size of file and read buffers.Kees
ZeelenbergMessage-Id: <address@hidden>

> o Increasing the size of the buffer in the call to _pipe(), e.g.,
> using a value greater than BUFSIZ (512 in Win32, I think) in
>
> _pipe(pdes, BUFSIZ, O_BINARY | O_NOINHERIT)
>
> allows a lesser argument to the 'o' option to work without
> hanging, as if the buffer is more likely to be emptied by the
> reader. Values greater than 64k seem to be ignored, so this
> hack won't work at all for any but the smallest files.

I've just seen the following in nonposix.h, defined for MSVC:

  #define pipe(pfd) _pipe((pfd), 0, _O_BINARY|_O_NOINHERIT)

This disables buffering completely. Does this work?