[Groff] formatting in troff

From: Divya Dhakar
Subject: [Groff] formatting in troff
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:28:42 -0600 (CST)

Hello,

can anyone please tell me that what is wrong with the following 'nr'
command in the example given below:

    +1  .ll80-2
    +2  .nr ps 0
    +3  .nr tm 0
    +4  .in7
    +5  Reset footnote counter on first-level heading\&.
    +6  .nr wi (\n(.l-\n(.i)/5-(5m-1m)
    +7  .(b
    +8  .in-4
    +9  .TS
   +10  tab( );
   +11  lw(\n(wiu) lw(\n(wiu) lw(\n(wiu) lw(\n(wiu) lw(\n(wiu).
............. the table continues.

Please tell me if you think that there are any calculation mistake with
the .nr command above. It is a 5 column table. This is not the complete
table.

When the try to execute the command:
tbl tblexample | nroff -me | col | more -sv

The table is misaligned and every row starts at a different position. the
table tht i get is as follows:

.FD Arg.     Hyphens      Adjusted     Text In-     Label Jus-
                                              dented       tified
      0            .nh          .ad          Yes          Left
     1            .hy          .ad          Yes          Left
    2            .nh          .na          Yes          Left
   3            .hy          .na          Yes          Left
  4            .nh          .ad          No           Left
 5            .hy          .ad          No           Left
6            .nh          .na          No            Left
7            .hy          .na          No            Left
8            .nh          .ad          Yes           Right
9            .hy          .ad          Yes           Right
10           .nh          .na          Yes           Right
11           .hy          .na          Yes           Right

Now, if I modify the line #1 of the above code to :
+1 .ll80

then it fixes the problem.
I am assuming that there are some negative line length calculations which
I am doing. Please give me your suggestions on it.

Thank you very much for your help.
Regards,
Divya