Re: [Groff] Pic: problem with "shaded"

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Pic: problem with "shaded"
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:08:42 +0100 (BST)

Many thanks to all who responded to my request below, regarding the
strange behaviour of "shaded" which I observed. Universally, no-one
else had any problem!

> There is a problem with "shaded" in pic (groff 1.18.1, Red Hat 9):
>
> .PS
> line from (0,0) to (0,2)
> line from (0,0) to (2,0)
> box width 1 height 1 with .sw at (1,1)
> box shaded "green" width 1 height 1 with .sw at (1,1)
> .PE
>
> The green box is shifted up relative to where it should be (i.e.
> the position of the outline box). I can't locate the problem here
> ... any help?

Anyway, I've found out the following about it. It occurs when I run
groff with my "personal" set of macros (tmac.ted) as well as the ms
macros (which I use all the time). With tmac.ted as well as ms, I get
the problem. With ms macros only, I do not get the problem.

Looking at the output of 'pic', the only thing that might be triggering
the problem is the occurrence of \M in the troff code generated, and
indeed I have verified that problems arise using \M.

However, I have searched right through the tmac.ted file for every
occurrence of the character "M", and none of these is in a context where
it might be "tickled" by encountering \M.

So I feel a bit stuck. Short of going through tmac.ted and elimiinating
all conveivable candidates one by one until I pin it down, I don't see
how to proceed from here.

>From what people know of the effects of "\M", can anyone suggest what
side-effects it might have when "non-standard" macros have been defined?
(Possibly my tmac.ted definitions, which have been around for a long
time, may now clash in some way with usages in groff 1.18.1)

Sorry for such a vague question, but it matches my information!

Thanks, and best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972