Re: [Groff] ds in tmac

From: Erich Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] ds in tmac
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:12:44 +0200

On Friday 05 September 2003 21:56, you wrote:
> Hi Erich!
[...]
> However, you also seem to want to make a certain kind of effort, just
> as some people want to climb a mountain with ropes and ice-picks when
> they could take the chair-lift (or even walk up the tourist path).
>
> I won't comment on the latter -- though when I get a spare moment I'll
> try your macros. However, I would hesitate before using 'pic' for this
> purpose.

Yes - one of the main reasons besides the use is to learn more about
groff and editors, i.e. typesetting.  Now having gooogled and tried to
follow your advice on the special characters, I think I should stop with
the present idea and go on with the special font.  You are absolutely
right.  But I should go into the depths of groff first, just go a step
back to learn it properly.  I've got the impression that using a program
like groff out-of-the-box is only half the fun.  That is to say that
besides the ropes and ice-picks I'v got to take a tent as well as warm
clothes! :)

Thanks for your offer to try it - As I said I stop the project to go on
with the special font (and "Notation" of course).  That will take a bit
of time.  I'll give notice when I have to present something.

***

Still there is one small problem.

When I define the special char like you wrote:

> .char \[WNBsq] \Z'\X'ps: import WNBsq.eps \
> llx lly urx ury \\n[SqSize]u''\&\h'\\n[.ps]u'
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                             ^               ^
my groff (1.17.2 on a Debian Woody) complains that there are no scaling
factors allowed.  I have to type \\n[SqSize]', without the unit, then it
works.  OK I'm happy with it; or am I doing something wrong?

> Apart from all that, do enjoy hacking you way up the ice-fall!

I shure will!  And I did.  Even the primitives of drawing [\D'l x y']
I found interesting, because at first sight I couldn't imagine how much
can be done with them.

> Best wishes,
> Ted.

Regards & Thanks,