groff in Makefiles (was Re: [Groff] UTP: release candidate at ffii.org (

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: groff in Makefiles (was Re: [Groff] UTP: release candidate at ffii.org (finally!))
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:27:39 +0200

On Mon Jul 28 15:17:03 2003, address@hidden wrote:

> `make' works, but it works better with the patch below, e.g. `make;
> make' only builds the book once.  Also, if it fails I'm not left with
> the target because I/O redirection is used.  Also, a `clean' target has
> been added.

> -book: toc.t utp_ix.t
> -     $(GROFF) -step -ms -rRef=0 utp_book.t > utp_book.ps
> +utp_book.ps: toc.t utp_ix.t
> +     $(GROFF) -step -ms -rRef=0 utp_book.t >address@hidden
> +     mv address@hidden $@

By the way, is there a better idiom for using groff (or anything else
that can only write to stdout) in Makefiles?  What about this one?

regards,
/Jörgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "And then the design was ignored, and small children
\X/ <address@hidden>  with crayons were given the O'Reilly Perl books and