Re: [Groff] Reinventing the refer(1) wheel

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Reinventing the refer(1) wheel
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:30:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > Some people use BibTeX with groff successfully IIRC.
> >
> > Really?  Any details?
>
> Well, I'd have only heard about it on this list I'd guess.  Perhaps I'm
> wrong, and it was people using BibTex databases with groff, rather than
> the BibTex program itself;  that would make more sense.
>
> Sorry if I raised false hopes.

Not at all, just curious.  Actually, I prefer refer to Bibtex - there's
hardly anything you can't do with refer (or at least, that would be the
case if its sort criteria weren't hardwired in - see recent thread on
Dutch bibliography).  Also, it's much easier to use and customize: a
matter of writing some label descriptions and modifying the ms macros vs
hacking a .bst file.  Speaking of which, there is no necessary connection
between Bibtex and LaTeX - wouldn't it be possible to write a .bst file to
output troff macros instead of TeX ones?  Has anyone ever tried it?

Robert.